• 11 Jun 19

Jun 11 - “Founders of the Srs. of St. Joseph” © artwork by Julie Lonneman.

The Congregation of St. Joseph traces its roots to the village of Lepuy, France, where, in 1650, six ordinary women, ranging in age from 15 to 46, formed a religious community to serve their neighbors in need.  Their director, Jesuit missionary Jean Pierre Medaille, envisioned a new kind of religious community, and thus the sisters were without cloister or habit (revolutionary at the time), lived in small groups, and worked to support themselves. With their “feet in the street”, the sisters tirelessly devoted themselves to alleviating the spiritual and physical suffering that surrounded them. 

“This group will be called the Congregation of St. Joseph, a cherished name which will remind the Sisters to assist and serve their dear neighbor with the same care, loving attention, charity, and cordiality that…St. Joseph had in serving [Mary]…and Jesus….”
Fr. Jean Pierre Médaille, SJ